I know what you’re thinking, hummus and pasta should not be mixed, but just hear me out. Growing up I absolutely LOVED mac n cheese. If I went out to eat at a restaurant you better bet this girl was ordering mac n cheese. Hanging out with friends, I’d make us mac n cheese for lunch. Half day of school, I’d come home and make up a nice big pot of mac n cheese. I’m not kidding. I was ADDICTED. Since going vegan I just haven’t been able to bring myself to buy a non dairy mac n cheese. The main reason is that I’m a lot more educated about nutrition and conscious of what I’m putting in my body than I was a couple years ago. I try to eat mainly whole plant-based foods and buy in bulk as much as possible, rather than pre-packaged foods that create a lot of needless waste. For those reasons I decided to try out a new pasta dish, something creamy like mac n cheese but filled with protein and whole foods to nourish my body!
For this recipe I use my own homemade hummus. That way I avoid the plastic containers most hummus is sold in and also decide what I put it (I make mine oil-free). I also use a plant-based pasta called POW! Pasta. My absolute favorite is the green lentil spaghetti made which is made from only green lentil flour and organic quinoa flour! It has 25 grams of protein per serving is so delicious! Here’s the link if you want to check it out 😉 https://ancientharvest.com/product/pow-pasta-green-lentil-spaghetti/
Creamy Hummus Pasta
Author: Abby Lewis
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 15 min
Total Time: 25 min
Yield: 4 servings
- 16 oz can chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tbs lemon juice
- 2 tbs tahini
- 1 tbs cumin
- Place all ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth. Add more water as necessary.
- This pasta dish only requires 1 cup of hummus so if you have extra you can enjoy some fresh veggies and hummus 🙂
- 8 oz spaghetti (I use POW! Pasta, link above)
- 3 cloves garlic diced
- 1/4 cup sun dried tomatoes diced
- 1 cup hummus
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tbs dried basil or handful fresh basil
- 2 cups baby spinach
- Bring a medium sized of water to a boil and cook pasta according to instructions on box (usually around 10-12 minutes). Drain the water.
- Return the empty pot to the stove and add the garlic, sun dried tomatoes, and a couple tablespoons of water (just enough so it wont stick to the bottom of the pan, you can also use oil if you choose). Saute for 3 minutes.
- Add the pasta back into the pan and one cup of hummus. Slowly add water while stirring until a creamy consistency is reached.
- Add the basil and spinach, saute until wilted (about 1 minute).
- Serve immediately or store in the fridge, I would recommend adding more hummus when you reheat it to keep that creamy texture 🙂